Solberg & Miller Dentistry is a family dental practice located in Central Florida. As experienced Altamonte Springs dentists, Drs. Miller, Solberg, and Williams are committed to helping patients achieve a healthier smile. TMJ disorder, also known as TMD, can be a debilitating condition that can cause a variety of uncomfortable, and sometimes painful, symptoms. TMD affects the function of the jaw joint that connects the mandible to the base of the skull. The jaw joint allows for patients to comfortably speak and chew. When the Jaw joint is not functioning properly, patients may experiences symptoms such as:
- Pain or difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Jaw clicking or popping
- Numbness in the jaw
- Face, neck, and upper back pain
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, be sure to contact Solberg & Miller Dentistry. Painful symptoms can progress over time, affecting your daily life. Finding a solution to alleviate your symptoms and restore function back to the TMJ joint can benefit you in the long run. Our team can work with you to determine if you are suffering from TMJ disorder and educate you on all the treatment options available. To learn more about TMJ treatment, call (407) 834-0330 or request an appointment online.
TMJ Treatment Options
The goal of TMJ therapy is to carefully position the head, neck, and jaw into proper alignment to alleviate your symptoms. Our dentist can perform a comprehensive examination of the head, jaw, and neck and look for signs of TMJ dysfunction. Treatment will vary from patient-to-patient.
- Invisalign: Invisalign is an effective treatment used to realign crooked teeth and address malocclusion. Invisalign has been proven to help reduce symptoms of TMJ disorder caused by a misaligned bite.
- TMJ Mouthguard: Patients who grind their teeth may benefit from a custom fit mouthguard. Generally worn at night, a TMJ mouthguard can prevent teeth grinding.
- Lifestyle Changes: Stress is one of the leading causes of teeth grinding and clenching. Certain lifestyle changes may help alleviate stress, therefore reducing teeth grinding and clenching in the process.
Schedule An Appointment
If you are experiencing the symptoms of a TMJ disorder or have teeth that appear worn, contact our Altamonte Springs dental office to schedule a visit with one of our dentists. Addressing tooth damage, teeth grinding and other signs of a bite problem as early as possible can enable more conservative treatment options to be effective.