Maitland Ave Smile Co. is a family dental practice located in Central Florida that delivers TMJ treatment to our patients in need.
Temporomandibular joint dysfunction, also known as TMJ or TMD, can be a debilitating condition that can cause a variety of uncomfortable, and sometimes painful, symptoms. A TMJ disorder affects the function of your jaw joint at the point that connects your mandible to the base of your skull. The jaw joint allows for patients to comfortably speak and chew. When the Jaw joint is not functioning properly, patients may experiences symptoms such as:
- Pain or difficulty swallowing or chewing
- Signs of tooth wear
- Limited or restricted jaw mobility
- Jaw clicking, popping, grating or clicking noises while chewing or during mouth movement
- Frequent morning headaches and migraines
- Teeth clenching or grinding
- Lockjaw, or feeling of a stuck jaw which makes eating difficult
- Numbness in the jaw
- Sore jaw in the morning
- Face, neck, shoulder and upper back pain
- Muscle pain around the jaw area
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, be sure to contact Maitland Ave Smile Co. Dr. Solberg and Dr. Miller can treat your TMJ pain and address the effects left behind. Painful symptoms can progress over time, affecting your daily life. Finding a solution to alleviate your symptoms and restore function back to the TMJ joint can benefit you in the long run. Our team can work with you to determine if you are suffering from TMJ disorder and educate you on all the treatment options available. To learn more about TMJ treatment, call (407) 834-0330 or request an appointment online.
TMJ Treatment Options
The goal of TMJ therapy is to carefully position the head, neck, and jaw into proper alignment to alleviate your symptoms. Our dentist can perform a comprehensive examination of the head, jaw, and neck and look for signs of TMJ dysfunction. Treatment will vary from patient-to-patient.
- Invisalign: Invisalign is an effective treatment used to realign crooked teeth and address malocclusion. Invisalign has been proven to help reduce symptoms of TMJ disorder caused by a misaligned bite.
- TMJ Mouthguard: Patients who grind their teeth may benefit from a custom fit mouthguard. Generally worn at night, a TMJ mouthguard can prevent teeth grinding.
- Lifestyle Changes: Stress is one of the leading causes of teeth grinding and clenching. Certain lifestyle changes may help alleviate stress, therefore reducing teeth grinding and clenching in the process.
The Causes of TMJ
The disorder may be caused by a variety of underlying problems:
- Bruxism, that is grinding and clenching of teeth during sleep
- Any injury to the joint area caused by an accident or surgical procedure
- Any bite disorders, like an uneven bite due to fitted dentures, fillings and dental crowns
Schedule An Appointment
As experienced dentists in Altamonte Springs, Drs. Miller, Solberg, and Williams are committed to helping patients achieve a healthier smile. If you are experiencing the symptoms of a TMJ disorder, or have teeth that appear worn, contact our Altamonte Springs dental office to schedule a visit with one of our dentists. Addressing tooth damage, teeth grinding and other signs of a bite problem as early as possible provides you with more effective conservative treatment options. Give us a call at (407) 834-0330 today.